1 Bag Potato Chips (try chips that are only salted without additional flavor added)
5 Pretzel buns
1 Avocado (ripe)
10 boneless pieces of chicken strips/tenders
2 Cups Low-Fat Buttermilk
2 Teaspoon Paprika
1 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
2 Tablespoons Salt
4 Teaspoons Black Pepper
4 Cups All Purpose Flour
Canola or Peanut Oil
- Add the buttermilk, 1 tablespoon of the salt,1 teaspoon paprika and 2 teaspoons of the black pepper to a mixing bowl. Slowly Add the chicken thighs to a mixing bowl. Mix it up and make sure the chicken is covered with the buttermilk bath. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours to marinate.
- Add the flour, 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper and remaining 1 tablespoon salt, 1 teaspoon paprika and 2 teaspoons black pepper to a baking dish. Using tongs, remove the chicken 2 to 3 pieces at a time and coat well in the seasoned flour. Be sure to press the flour into the meat and cover completely. Shake off excess and reserve on a baking sheet.
- When all the pieces of chicken are covered in the flour, add about an inch of oil to a heavy, deep frying pan. Over a medium-high flame, heat the oil to 375 F.
- Check to see if the oil is hot enough by dropping a pinch of flour in the oil. It should sizzle. Add the chicken, being careful not to overcrowd the pan, and cook for 7 to 8 minutes per side, or until the outside is browned and the meat is cooked through. The thickest part of the meat should register at least 165 F on a
- Remove the chicken. Place a paper towel on a plate to soak up any excess grease.
Bread & Avocado Prep
- Set skillet to medium heat
- Add butter and grill the those buns
- Slice open the avocado horizontally all the way around
- Pull apart the avocado exposing the seed (wrap the leftover avocado with plastic wrap and refrigerate for later)
- Use a spoon to scoop out the desired amount of avocado and spread on the inside of the top piece of bread
Put it all together
- Place fried chicken on buns
- Place desired amount of potato chips directly on top of chicken
- Generously pour honey over chips (DRENCH IT!)
- The longer you allow the chicken to marinate, the better.
- Don’t crowd the skillet while frying. Give each piece about an inch space to cook nice and crispy. Sometimes the flour will flake off during frying when it doesn’t have enough space.
- Using a cast iron skillet is the way to go. It holds heat very well, allowing an even cook.
- Don’t be afraid to throw on some additional spices that you feel will make it taste even better.
- Remember. It’s about the FEEL!
- Although you can use skinless chicken, the skin soaks in a lot of flavor.
- Try using the Akron Honey to make a sauce, then dip the chicken in that!
- Post your version on instagram with the hashtag #akronhoney. We’d love to share your version with everyone!
- Don’t worry about measuring chips or avocado. Add those until it feels right.
- Try this with the different flavors of our honey. You won’t be sad.